Thursday, October 7, 2010

Where for art thou airbag?


(Car meets deer. Deer wins)

I was driving in south-central Colorado earlier this week when I came around a blind curve and ran into a deer. Or it ran into me. No matter. A reminder when driving this time of year or any time of year for that matter, to be prepared for wildlife sharing the road with you at the least opportune of times.

There was no time to react other than brace for impact. The headlight assembly, fender, hood and driver's door all will have to be replaced. I pulled off the road immediately to check on the car and the poor deer. I found it, a young buck 3-4 years old lying on the road still alive but not looking good. I went back to my car to call the sheriff's office to notify them of the animal in distress when it got up and ran away. It looked like, perhaps, it was just stunned momentarily by the impact (As I was!) but was able to safely move on. I hope he's ok. He's a beautiful animal and I hate the fact we ran into each other on the road.

One thing that is nagging on me is that the airbag didn't go off. The damage is pretty significant as was the impact. When I take it to the body shop for repair today I'm going to ask them about that.

Moral of the story is to be alert at all times when driving the highways in states like Colorado where often times the wildlife out-number humans. Too many times in accidents like mine, the results are far worse. It's incredible the kind of damage an animal that weighs far less than your car can do.

I was lucky. Actually make that blessed. (Thank you Lord!) Be careful out there folks.

Brian Olson
Conversation Starters LLC
"We start the conversation about you"

No comments:

Post a Comment