Friday, June 18, 2010

Marketing 101 from....Kids!

On my way to a South Metro Denver Chamber of Commerce event, some kids in our neighborhood set up a lemonade stand. I know, you're saying to yourself, "Self, so what?"

Well these kids passed the "So what?" test with flying colors. First, they had stands on both sides of the street. They also were using hand held signs like you see along roads advertising for tax services etc. They were hustling for business, they had a marketing plan and were executing it.

These kids had product and a sales strategy. I think they'll do well in business as they grow older!

It reminded me of another young future business leader I met a few years ago. My wife and I were driving home from the airport and stopped at a burger place. When we tried to order, a clerk said their computerized cash register had crashed and he couldn't take our order.

We responded that we had cash, pointed to the back where the grills were working and still got a "Please come back later."

Then a voice piped up from the back. "Wait, I'll handle this for you." A young man came to the counter, took our order, accepted the cash, made change and provided a hand-written receipt. He then went back and cooked our burgers to perfection.

I called the chain the next day and told them to put this kid on a fast track. My guess is he's graduated from business school and well on his way to success.

It's refreshing to see hustle and enthusiasm from the next generation of entrepreneurs!

Have a good weekend everyone. I'm going to get myself a lemonade.

Brian Olson
Conversation Starters LLC
"We get the conversation started about you"

No comments:

Post a Comment