Thursday, June 17, 2010

Perception is Reality-The "Oops" Factor

"I'd like my life back"-Tony Hayward, BP CEO

Oops.

"We care about the small people"-BP Chairman Carl-Henric Svanberg.

Oops Part Deux

Of all the thousands of words spoken by both men, these are the quotes that have stuck, especially along the Gulf Coast. Adding additional oil to the wound is Hayward's British Accent and Svanberg's Swedish Accent. I've lived, worked and vacationed many times on the Gulf Coast and believe me, they want information straight and in an accent like their own. It's just the way it is.

I honestly believe that neither man meant anything malicious by what they said. As the saying goes, words got "Lost in translation." Svanberg likely speaks other languages besides his native Swedish and English. Good for him. But that doesn't matter. It's the perception of what they said.

As one of the best media consultants around, Frank Magid Associates once taught me me, "Perception is reality."

This is a classic case that skilled executives can, and let me be blunt, really suck at PR. Some, like Warren Buffet and Charlie Ergen are good at it.*Hayward and Svanberg aren't and should never have been allowed in front of a microphone unless asked to do so by Congress or the Courts.

Hayward testifies in front of Congress as I'm writing this. He'll be under oath, he'll have legal counsel at his side, and at the end of the day it will be one slip of the tongue that will be the lead quote in every news, information and especially mis-information pipeline. The politicians on the panel will do everything they can to goad them into a verbal faux pas.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not taking sides in this issue, just commenting on what happens when things get lost in translation, when an innocent remark becomes the sound byte heard 'round the world.

It's unlikely your company or organization will ever find yourself in the position that BP is. This is a catastrophe of huge proportions. A disaster that keeps on giving.

But bad things happen to good people. It's important to have a crisis plan in place and identify people on your team who are best equipped to speak about it. Or the right partner to do so on your behalf. Your crisis plan should also be reviewed on a regular basis, not stuffed in a drawer.

Perception is indeed reality. The key is making that perception positive.

Brian Olson
Conversation Starters LLC
"We get the conversation started about you"

* Disclaimer: I own Berkshire-Hathaway and Echostar Stock. I'm also a DISH Network Customer.

No comments:

Post a Comment