Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Here's to old friends part two.

(With "Uncle Walter" at a Radio-Television-Digital News Association event in the 1990's)


When we went to the Austin, TX this past weekend the first order of business was the Texas-Wyoming game followed by eating enormous quantities of "Q at the Salt Lick. Mission accomplished.

It was a side trip however to the LBJ Presidential Library that provided both surprises and special memories. I blogged yesterday about meeting two old friends, Senator Alan Simpson (ret) and Governor Mike Sullivan (ret) of Wyoming.

The Presidential Library currently features an exhibit honoring legendary reporter and CBS News Anchor Walter Cronkite. Cronkite is a UT-Austin Alumnus, starting his legendary career in Austin. Cronkite was voted "The most trusted man in America" and reported on arguably the most important stories of the 20th century. When President Kennedy was assassinated, we turned to Walter Cronkite. From the Vietnam War to men first landing on the moon, it was the CBS Evening News with Walter Cronkite that was the newscast of record.

I was blessed to have known Walter Cronkite. It started when I was graduating from high school and sent him a letter asking for advice as to what courses to take in college to prepare for a career in journalism. I never thought he'd write back but he did.

Many years later, as a television news director, I was at an industry event in New York. Seated at the head table sitting next to Governor Mario Cuomo, I looked out on the crowd and saw Cronkite. I went over and introduced myself, finally having the opportunity to thank him personally for his letter and advice. I remarked it was him, and not me, who should be at the head table. He told me he was far happier to be out in the crowd. Typical Walter.

A few years later our paths crossed again at the Radio-Television-Digital News Association Paul White dinner where the picture at the top of the blog was taken. This time we both got to sit at the head table! A few years after that, Walter was visiting my station in Phoenix promoting his book, "A Reporter's Life" which he autographed for me along with the picture taken of us earlier.

Walter Cronkite was simply the most gracious and humble of men. He always knew he wasn't the story. He covered the story. That's the way it was for Walter Cronkite and should be today.

Here's a short video of just part of the wonderful exhibition at the LBJ Presidential Library.



Brian Olson
Conversation Starters LLC
"We start the conversations about you"

No comments:

Post a Comment