Tuesday, February 22, 2011

3G, 4G. G-Whiz! So what?

Have you seen an ad that features a guy running and jumping from rooftop to rooftop, hooking up cables while a lightning storm rages around him? The final scene shows, what I think is the latest thing in PDA's that features "Blazing Speed."

For the life of me I can't remember either the name of the device or who is marketing it. But that's just me.

I'm not impressed with all this "G" talk because I've pulled over 6 G's in an F-16 fighter jet. OK, two very different things but all this doesn't pass the "So what?" test. New technology is coming at consumers so fast, that by the time you walk out of an electronics store your new device is obsolete. Sort of like when you drive a new car off the lot and suddenly it loses thousands of dollars of value within a tenth of a mile of where you bought it.

The aforementioned ad seems targeted at a younger demographic. If it weren't for the actual product at the end, one would think it was a movie trailer for the never ending stream of alien invasion movies coming out this spring and summer. But it's my demographic that has the most disposable income. We're also a tougher sell.

All I ask is, please tell me how this new device will make me more productive, how it will recoup the initial investment and why my life will be measurably better if I buy it.

I don't think that's too much to ask, is it?

Brian Olson
Conversation Starters Public Relations
"We start the conversation about you"

No comments:

Post a Comment