Wednesday, January 19, 2011

The Day I Met Regis

On the set with Regis (1992)

Regis Philbin is calling it a career, announcing that at the young age of 79 he's going to sit in front of the television instead of in front of the camera with Kelly Ripa. Philbin is a Notre Dame grad and Navy Vet and been in television since the 50's. I first remember seeing him as the sidekick on the Joey Bishop Show.

Back in 1992 I got to meet Regis, when he was co-hosting the iconic morning show with Kathy Lee Gifford. My station carried the show and when business had me in New York, the producers were kind enough to invite me to shoot a promo with the two. I'd done these before, but never in front of a live studio audience!

The bit involved me and Kathy Lee doing the promo, with Regis trying to get a word in, which we didn't let him do. Through it all both Kathy Lee and Regis were hugely gracious and simply great fun.

I can say for sure the guy you see on TV is the guy he is in real life. He enjoys his work, doesn't cop the "Star" attitude and at least the one time I worked him, a total pro. What's known as a "Nice Guy."

Happy trails Regis. Why do I have this feeling we haven't seen the last of you?

Brian Olson
Conversation Starters Public Relations
"We start the conversation about you"

No comments:

Post a Comment